You can now embed individual tweets in posts. It includes action links that allow readers to reply to, retweet, and favorite the tweet without leaving your site. Just paste a tweet URL on its own line.
This works with URLs from some other sites, too. For more, see the Codex article on Embeds.
- Basic HTML support has been added to the caption field in the image uploader. This allows you to add links — great for photo credits or licensing details — and basic formatting such as bold and italicized text.
- Post queries have been optimized to improve performance, especially for sites with large databases.
- The number of strings loaded on the front end was greatly reduced, resulting in faster front page load times for localized installations. Also, better support for East Asian languages, right-to-left languages, theme translations, and more.
- jQuery, jQuery UI, TinyMCE, Plupload, PHPMailer, SimplePie, and other libraries were updated. jQuery UI Touch Punch was introduced.
- WP_Theme, wp_get_themes(), wp_get_theme(). Faster, uses less memory, makes use of persistent caching.
- Instead of appending /wp-admin or /wp-login.php to URLs to login you can now use these shorthands. /login will take you to the login screen and both /admin and /dashboard to the WordPress dashboard.
- As pointed out by Andrea Rennick in Trac ticket #18831, a 10MB default limit on individual site upload totals is a bit small. This was bumped up to 100MB in core, so that if it’s something you commonly change in your Multisite setups you won’t have to do that next time.