Say Hello! to the Open Web – Mozilla
How do you feel when your are free to do anything?
Open web is about the ability to openly publish content, articles and applications on the web in open standards or coding, implementing or accessing the content,code or web-apps etc.
And think about the situation when you are in an Exam and trying to solve a problem and a teacher is standing beside you and watching. How do you feel? That is the Non-Open Web.
Difference between Open web and Non Open web
You can publish and reach hundreds of millions of people by publishing a content, article, photograph etc.
Open Web Example:
- Domain name registrars and web hosting services that, like phone companies, don’t judge your content.
- Cheap internet access that doesn’t discriminate based on domains.
- The idea of an open Internet is the idea that the full resources of the Internet and means to operate on it are easily accessible to all individuals and companies. This often includes ideas such as net neutrality
- Web browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome etc
Non – Open Web Example:
- Formats: many media formats controlled by patent pools, e.g. even publishing H.264 video is at the mercy of “MPEG LA”. Supposedly it’s free to publish free video, but if you want to publish video and charge for it, you have to pay them royalties. Not open.
- Domain name registrars: just this week, NIC.ly, the registrar for .ly domains restricts on contents. Not open.
- Censored internet access: numerous countries censor access to the internet.
- Flash player is a property of Adobe. So the flash content on web is Not open.
What is Mozilla’s relation with Open Web?
Together, we’re able to create and innovate with local interests in mind, while making the Web better and more accessible for everyone everywhere. –Mozilla
Individuals who are passionate about Mozilla and raise awareness about the many benefits of Firefox & other Mozilla products are welcome to the community. They can join, create, learn, enjoy the openness.
At the end I’d like to thank Mozilla for giving us such community and the openness and I’m very happy and excited also being a student ambassador.
Content & Media References: